The Functions of Zanzibar Examinations Council (ZEC) are:
- To facilitate and encourage unity and cooperation between examination bodies, in the East Africa and Africa, to build common relation with examination bodies, of the Tanzania and other body outside Tanzania having the same vision and mission and to established links with other examination bodies, both national and international, in order to facilitate the sharing of knowledge and experience.
- To undertakes review of the assessment system, processes, resources and management.
- To initiate and scrutinize the Act No. 6 of 2012 and supervise the implementation of international agreements relating to the welfare of examination within the Zanzibar in order to remove any obstacles against the examination procedures and to initiate improvement of laws which contains discriminatory provisions against the examination act.
- To supervise the rights of ZEC’s to ensure that ZEC’s staff are succeed professionally, economically, socially and to make sure that social education activities are properly considered up to a higher level of education.
- Collaborating with various local and foreign academic institutions, legislative authorities and other relevant stakeholders in conducting research with a view to improving the quality of education in Zanzibar
- Setting guidelines that guide how you will assess students' academic potential and the progress they are making and the standards they are required to meet at every level of education;
- To provide quality examinations and standards for primary, secondary and teacher colleges, to manage the operation and even the composition of other examinations in the country as it may deem fit in the public interest and to Supervise, collect and record student progress and achievements related to examinations conducted by Council.